Thursday, January 23, 2014

Hey guys, I was just going through some of my older pictures from back about 7 years ago or so, and I came across this species which at the time was very popular, and quite prevalent within the 'aussie lovers' or 'velvet gecko' community.  The Oedura marmarota.  There are two localities pictured here, the eastern and the western form.  They can be pretty secretive at times, but as you can see, they are pretty geckos.  This is another species that, like I said, was relatively prevalent, but now, they are very hard to come across.  This is a discussion that I've been having a lot recently.  From popular and rare, to abundant and losing popularity, to now again, sought after, but difficult to find or procure.  I guess the laws of supply and demand hold true even for geckos, and reptiles in general.  In a way, I have a respect for all you leopard gecko, crested gecko, or ball python guys out there because you know that you enjoy the species, and regardless as to whether the animals are in extreme abundance or not, you stick to the species project at hand.  It seems different within the more 'rare' or shall I say "lesser abundant in the hobby" gecko enthusiasts now a days.  These folks, seems to follow the trends constantly, and try and jump on the 'next big species wave.'  And I must admit, I have done this myself, so I am not calling anyone out.  It should not be for the money, but for the love of the art....Until the next ranting ;)  





No comments: