Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Week #8 This week we have another Nephrurus species, Nephrurus asper.

Here we have yet another Australian gecko on the countdown, and again, another knob-tailed (Nephrurus) species.  These are by far one of my favorite in the genus, and hopefully one day I will be fortunate enough to care for a group myself.  This species can vary greatly in color depending on their native location.  They can be black like the animals pictured below, but they can also be a reddish brown, somewhat similar to N. amyae, and they can also be a nice washed out grey with bands.  All of them are exceptional.   N. asper are smaller in size compared to N. amyae, which is known as the most massive Australian gecko.  Enjoy the pictures below, they were taken by my friend JT Baginski.


Nephrurus asper pair
Nephrurus amyae vs. Nephrurus asper comparison


comparison
Defensive posture

Two of my favorite species out of all geckos.  




No comments: